Kat''s Nature

Kat's Nature Is To Be Creative - I Love Paint and Stuff

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Illustrating Childrens Books


Another  "Kat's Nature"  Adventure ? 
 Working at illustrating a children's book or two.
I choose to do them with watercolor paint 
and pen and ink lines to define the pictures.


pencil sketch of creeper

you know how kittens love to crawl into bags?

pencil sketch of Creeper singing

water color painting of Creeper singing
This has been fun and exciting and 
stressful and anxious times for me
because... 
I never have done anything like this before!
so please be kind!

I am lucky enough to have a friend who is a wonderful writer.
and a very nice person.
 I actually met up with Danny Langone through Facebook. 
 A friend of an old high school friend.
Danny Langone - author
 Danny's wife, Barb was a school mate of my older sister. 
We all grew up in "small town" Wisconsin...
...where everybody knows everybody.
 So we chatter back and forth,
usually just trying to make the other laugh

We have a similar sense of humor, 
although he has perfected his.
I eventually read a few of his published works,
"Keys to the Condo" - humorous poetry
"Flybait's Lament" - fiction novel

"Wilt's Hollow" - in the publishing process now


book jacket by Danny's daughter Kim
 I  absolutely loved reading them all.
Danny really has some enormous talent for telling stories, ticking the funny bone, and touching the heart.
(if you would like to read any of Danny's books let me know 
I can get you a signed copy for 20 dollars from him.)
 One day Danny simply asked if I would like to illustrate 
for a couple  of his children's books.
 He has been wanting to just go ahead and self publish
 for a long time now. 

 After I overcame my,
 "I can't do something that important," feeling...
... I told him I would love to illustrate his books.  

The first book is titled simply,
 "Creeper"
 and the second book is titled
 "Percy" 
 Creeper is an adventurous cat.







 Percy is a hungry little field mouse.




  Both books are lovely, witty, poetic songs.
  Danny  happily reads his poems to 
school children, in his hometown
and they always enjoy that. 
So he had the idea to just go ahead
 and publish some children's books.  

we are doing the self- publish "thing" .
After graphic artist,
Kimberly Langone
gets it all organized for us,
we shall have a book or two to peddle.

according to Google images
this is what a book peddler looks like! Yikes

Another adventure for me!
I look forward to that very much, actually.
of course my grand-daughter. Jillian 
will get the very first copy!


Jillian ...she calls me "Gam-gam"
Yep she stole my old Gammy heart the moment i laid eyes on her!

hugs to you
KAT
Please click on my home button and read my latest posts
I post about my art , my family, and decor and whatever
I love nature and art and creatures and making friends
link to these wonderful and creative
 host blogs  and link parties
http://creativeeveryday.com
http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com
http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com

http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com
http://www.thegirlcreative.com
http://bellabeforeandafter.blogspot.com



UndertheTableandDreaming

[Sunday_Sketches_Big_Sophia.png]













39 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

Oh Kat, what a wonderful venture!!! I so admire folks who can do this - and you've done some awesome sketchs/paintings! congrats to you and your friend for a great partnership!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

You've got incredible talent that is God-given. Knock 'em dead! I'm a new follower.

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

I love your work!! I am so excited for you. I am a new follower. Can't wait to see everything you are doing.

Unknown said...

What beautiful work! My daughter and I had a good time admiring the work on your blog. Just beautiful.

Jen said...

Kat--I love them. I think they are my favorites of all your work that I've seen. The kitties and the mouse and so lifelike and full of personality. And Jillian is adorable--you are lucky to have each other.

Nancy said...

Although this is the first time I've visited your lovely blog, I have to say how impressed I am by your illustrations. I'm a huge cat person (have 9 farm cats) and you captured their funny little doings so well. :)

very merry vintage style said...

Your illustrations are amazing. Congratulations on doing these books! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday--!
Mary

Anonymous said...

How exciting for you and congrats on the book! Your illustrations are very cute, and what a great gift this will be for your grand daughter to one day say Grandma painted the pictures of this book I read as a child. Enjoy the rest of your week!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How awesome! I love the your illustrations and they will be perfect for the book! I know you are excited! I'm excited FOR you! ♥

Unknown said...

I just adore your watercolors. As the Daughter of an artist....I know talent when I see it!! Your cat faces in particular are so expressive. I love it!! I know a whol ebunch of Munchkins who would love it too!! My sister is currently considering self-publishing (after working with an agent for a while) and I'll be interested to see how it all works out for the two of you. :-) FOllowing you!!

Unknown said...

Also....I've got a link party going on called A Marvelous Mess, I would love it if you would link this project up. Each party I pick one winner to be featured on my sidebar for a week!! Here is the link: http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com/2011/07/marvelous-mess-21-and-features.html

I hope to see you there!!

Amy Johnson said...

Such beautiful illustrations! Your so talented!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm laurie, its so nice to meet you.i'm a newbie blogger and I just found you today through the paint party.I just love creeper,, you are so very talented and your grand daughter is lovely,, I'm proud to say I'm your newest follower!

WrightStuff said...

I am so excited for you - your illustrations are just perfect and you've captured the playfulness of kittens just right! One of my cats loves cardboard boxes - the smaller the better to squash in!

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Happy PAint PArty to you and your kitty kats,,,which by the way have stolen my heart...toooooo sweet.

Netty said...

Beautiful illustrations and your grand-daughter is gorgeous. Happy PPF, Annette x

Pam Tucker said...

I absolutely love your illustrations! Cats are very dear to me and you've done an excellent job! I love your work and am so glad to meet you through PPF! I look forward to seeing more! :)

Julie said...

How exciting! I love your kittys! Gorgeous.

Julie Prichard said...

Cute cute and cute! Great illustrations. Happy PPF!

Heather said...

your kitties are perfect for a children's book - good luck with it- and i look forward to seeing it when you are through publishing it! how wonderful!!!

Marlene said...

Your sketches and watercolors are terrific. They are full of fun.

Darla said...

OH, how fun! I know that is really an honor and a challenge. Good luck. You are off to a good beginning.

Giggles said...

Wow great job! How fun is this! Especially to collaborate with a friend! The kids will love it!

Hugs Giggles

SHERI COOK said...

Sweet illustrations! Love Creeper! HAPPY PPF!

Unknown said...

I love these illustrations of yours! You've captured a great sense of personality, color and movement with them!
Happy PPF (a day late;))
Stephanie

lissa said...

sweet artwork and sweet news. thanks for sharing.

Joni Nickrent said...

your watercolors are absolutely purr-fect! Good Luck with your project...I think you are off to a fantabulous start! POP ART MINIS

Fallingladies said...

This is so great! I'm envious of your exciting project! and your wonderful watercolors!

Kat Sloma said...

How wonderful! Illustrating a children's book! Your paintings are wonderful. They will enhance the stories no doubt! Nice to meet another KAT! :)

Out on the prairie said...

What a grand adventure, lovely images.This is somethingI would enjoy doing.

EVA said...

Congratulations Kat! What fabulous synchronicity the web has enabled!

I love your pages of Creeper! They are wonderful and he looks like a fun cat worthy of stories!

Anne Butera said...

How wonderfully exciting!!

Your illustrations are great! Will be perfect for the stories!

Best of luck and enjoy your adventure!

Happy PPF!

Kristin Dudish said...

What a fun and exciting project!!! Hooray! Your fun illustration style captures cat personalities so well - I look forward to seeing more of them :) I liked reading about how this came to be! I'm so happy for you - I know this is going to be great... Enjoy your adventure!!!

xo
Kristin

Hybrid J said...

Such fun artwork to enjoy!

Hope said...

your art is wonderful.. and any child seeing your art will fall in love with the book.. what a delightful thing to be able to do.. indeed a wonderful blessing for all..

carlarey said...

These drawings are so delightful, I'm sure the book will be wonderful. You are doing a great job.

Unknown said...

oh so super sweet!!! love your watercolor pieces!!! congrats on the two books!!! so exciting!!!!

Geckostone said...

Brilliant!!! You make it look easy!!! Your work is beautiful!

Six Sisters said...

You are so talented. These illustrations are beautiful! My kids would love to read a story with these pictures! Thank you so much for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday- we would LOVE to have you come back tomorrow and link up more of your great posts!
-Camille @ The Six Sisters
http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com