Kat''s Nature

Kat's Nature Is To Be Creative - I Love Paint and Stuff

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Butterfly charm !

Oh My, My
The Winter Doldrums
are effecting me ALREADY !


I need to make butterflies and flowers


here is my process
to make these simple little charms



wire cutter is a must have
18 gauge wire (from home depot)
I like copper
snip  two even pieces of the wire (about 5-6 inch )
and a tiny piece to be the top ring
for adding  to a string or chain
for a necklace
or a ribbon to make it a bookmark.




make two similar but not identical halves
 That is right
I do not believe in being
symmetrical
even though nature sometimes is !
I am very asymmetrical in my artistic style
in fact i like asymmetry
in a lot of my art!
...it is happier and more interesting !
no stress involved !

start to wrap a much thinner wire
around the two halves to join them

wow... I could use a good manicure !

I easily attached the top ring with 
Super "Gorilla Glue"
 The Gorilla Glue
is the super glue that works the best for this

I have tried other super glues
 I stick by my guns on the "Gorilla" stuff
It works like a charm ! really
you just need a little drip of it
and it grabs
and holds tight after  30 second count
  let it cure 12 hours or so
before messing with it
it will be a very strong bond
although not as strong as using solder and a soldering gun
Mr. G won't allow me to use one
as I have been proven to burn myself... if at all possible
He likes to help me with hot things
but he is never around when I need him
so I find other ways to do what I have to do
This is the story of my crafting life !
Make do !
nice little casual necklace

I used wax-ed string,  and just tied on a clasp.
So Simple !

 Happy Winter Doldrums !
May we all transform into Spring/ Summer
Butterflies.

-  KAT -
Tip Junkie handmade projects

Totally tutorials tips tricks recipes how tos





15 comments:

Katherines Corner said...

So sweet, I make butterflies too. You know I love things with wings. Yours are lovely xo

Unknown said...

Cute! You have made quite a few. What are you doing with them all??

NanaDiana said...

Those are just darling! I LOVE them! You do a wonderful job putting those together. I just metioned Gorilla glue on another blog! xo Diana

Lisa said...

Kat, you know I love this project!! I'm definitely going to make some of these charms really soon - maybe today!!
I'm so glad you linked up to Lisa's Linky List!!
~Lisa @ Lisa's Craft Blog

Unknown said...

thanks everyone. You are all so so nice ! L I am making them for friends ...a group I meet with on a regular basis. I hope they like them.
-KAT-

Michelle (aka Meechelle) said...

Beautiful charms! Thank you for sharing the process. --Meechelle #114

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

These are really cute! Your friends will love them! It's so much fun to wear something unique and handmade! Very nice! ♥

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Kat,
Nice butterfly necklaces. Watch out for that gorilla glue though.... can be toxic!

Happy WOYWW
Kay #45

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

How cute is that! Beautiful!! Thank you for the visit and the sweet comment on my little opera singer! It means the world. Hope you have a grand evening! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

l00pyscraftcreations said...

Love the charms thanks for sharing, I'm seeing how many I can get round this way.then when I have finished I'll come back again, that is if I can STOP reading all the posts first Happy WOYWW

LOu P

Bob Bushell said...

Beauts, I love your blog, I must see more of it.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Yea! No more winter doldrums. Great tutorial and great butterflies. How fun.

bohemiannie! art said...

I hope your butterflies got you out of the doldrums. They sure made me happy!

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh they're nice, and so nice to look at something that hints at sunshine and warmer days,

Divya said...

cute...you could just put in the post after a couple of wraps and then wrap over it to avoid the glue hassle :)